Pages

Zombies, Music, and Roaches

In which I go to an event just to catch one band, yet ended up seeing more, and being greatly pleased by it.

It's been a while since I last saw most of the bands performing at B-Side last Saturday, so when I found out they'll be playing at B-Side's anniversary celebration over the weekend, I just had to go. Or at least to go see Flying Ipis play live again and get a copy of their EP. So after seeing a sold out screening of OJT (which is really really good you guys, go see it if you haven't, or just go see it again), and some window shopping, my friend and I headed to B-Side. Which had zombies lurking about. I didn't get to take a picture tho. I was more busy trying not to get alarmed because if one of them didn't start talking, I probably would've gone all Daryl Dixon on him. But their makeup was so good. Halloween came early.

What I wasn't expecting was to catch Urbandub. I saw them live last year on SMASH Project, and the only songs I knew were their releases off their 2005 album. I am ridiculously attached to First of Summer, no year since their release is ever complete without me playing that song at least ten times the moment the month of March kicks in. I was expecting them to start playing much later, so it was a pleasant surprise that they come in a little before eleven. I was able to "watch" their set thanks to the people up front eagerly documenting the set via their ginormous iPads. I gave up on trying to take photos off their set. The crowd was thick around them, all very much enjoying song after song. So why not forget taking pictures just this once and enjoy the music.

But I did manage to take at least this one.
People started jumping, cheering, and singing, the moment they played First of Summer. Which also includes myself, at the back, with one arm raised. I always get kilig when people scream "more!!!" once a band's set is over, which is exactly what people did after they played their last song. I used to be such a huge fan of theirs back in college, it makes me wonder now, why and how I lost track of them.

There were two separate stages on B-Side, one at The Collective's courtyard, and another inside B-Side.
Inside B-Side, where it's cool and comfortable (couches, air conditioning, and zero zombies lurking about), we watched Flying Ipis's set. One of the reasons why I got into music photography is getting to capture the energy the band gives in their performances. And their energetic sets are no exception.







That last photo is definitely one of my favorites. It will always be a pleasure to enjoy their sets with or without a camera in hand. Since hearing Ssssikreto on the radio years ago (?!), I've always loved their very punk sound. So much angst. So much energy.


Mid set Deng mentioned that they have a torrent. I know I've joked about this on twitter, how I'm so hipster that most of my favorite bands don't even have a torrent. You know you've made it when you have one. But please don't go searching for it you guys, buy the album. And the album art alone is super cool, why'd you want to miss out on that? But seriously, if you love their music, get the album from their gigs. So happy I finally got my hands on their album over the weekend. Now I can keep them on repeat with my headphones on. Next on my list: Urbandub's Esoteric.

x
Henri

No comments:

Post a Comment